I love how the frosting turns into this lovely pink because of the fresh strawberries!
Adapted from Southern Living
- 1 (18.25 oz) package white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) package strawberry-flavored gelatin mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Strawberry Buttercream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (32 oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- Extra strawberries for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. In a large bowl, combine all of the cake ingredients and beat until incorporated.
Equally divide batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 23 minutes or until toothpick test comes clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then remove cakes from pans and completely cool on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine all of the buttercream ingredients. Beat until fluffy. If icing is too thin, add more powdered powdered sugar. If icing is too thick, add more finely chopped strawberries.
Spread the strawberry buttercream between layers and throughout the cooled cake. Garnish with whole and sliced strawberries. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.